I had a chance to have a Skype chat with award winning nutritionist Dr Joanna McMillan for the My Day on a Plate campaign with Australian Pineapples.
Australian Pineapples is a not-for-profit organisation run by Horticulture Australia that supports Aussie growers and educate people regarding the benefits of pineapple.
Anyway, did I mention I’m on Weight Watchers? I’ll write more on that later especially because I’ve lost nearly four kilos since starting this over a month ago. My talk with Joanna topped up the information I’ve started to gather on living healthier.
Here’s what I got from our session:
- Try to stick to low GI foods.
- I can mash anything up instead of just mashed potato, which isn’t low GI. I can do sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots, peas and more, mix with some Philadelphia, garlic, spices and stuff.
- Try to stick to wholegrain bread more than wholemeal, or try sour dough with soy linseed from your local bakery.
- Seafood rocks (they are also very low on ProPoints with Weight Watchers).
- Try not to eat the kids’ leftovers. It turns out when you just graze instead of eating properly you end up eating more. Also, being the family trashcan for leftover food is never good.
- Help your kids with school readiness by structuring the day’s three meals, morning tea and afternoon tea.
- Snacking on fruits, like pineapple, is a good thing.
- Finally, health is not a diet. It’s a lifestyle. There’s no such thing as “I’m on a break” – something which I’m starting to learn well. I was afraid I’d gain weight during the Easter long weekend but instead I lost over half a kilo. Yay!
Now you’re turn to say yay! The good people at “My Day on a Plate” is giving away a $100 Woolies voucher to one lucky winner to help you start a healthier lifestyle.
To enter, just answer this in 50 words or less: What’s your tried and tested doable health tip? Something that would be helpful to those who are just starting this healthier lifestyle (like moi).
Australian residents only. Competition ends 22 April AEST.
CONGRATULATIONS RACHEL T!
Thanks everyone for joining!