In two weeks, we will be celebrating my little one’s fourth birthday, and I’ve decided to take this on at home.
It’s not something I haven’t done before but the difference is that this time, I will actually have more kids around for the party. My little girl has made lots of friends over the years, and a couple of them are coming over.
Adults I know what to do with (wine, cheese, crackers, pizza yay!), but kids, I’m completely in new territory. What do you do with them? What do you feed them? What allergies do they have? Are they scared of dogs? What do I do with our two little dogs?
I sent out the invites ages ago. And I mean ages! It’s half my fault. MiniMe wouldn’t stop asking whether I’ve sent out her birthday invites so I made them and sent them out early.
As the day draws closer, I’m trying hard not to panic. Have I mentioned before how I wasn’t a kid person? I’m still not. I have a limit and can be tolerant, but I’m not one of those people who automatically warm up to kids (think Luke from The Gilmore Girls but without the hat).
I’m relying on hubby (who is a cartoon character incarnate – think Lorelai from GG) to be his usual entertaining self, as well as the other mums coming who have more experience with kids.
I wanted to keep things simple but also entertaining so here’s what I did as an initial plan (and please, if you have any advice, share share share!)
- I’ve booked a bouncy castle with a shade for four hours (not as expensive as I initially thought, pretty good deal).
- We’re serving DIY hotdogs and sandwiches for lunch, aside from the usual chicken pieces, chips and crackers, juice boxes etc (no eggs, no nuts).
- I’m getting a piñata and some bubbles (not champagne, the ones that actually make bubbles).
- We want to do three games, sticking to the classics like Trip to Jerusalem, Paper Dance and Statue Dance.
- We’ll be using disposable plates, cups, forks and so on.
- I’m sticking to arts and crafts, stickers and bubbles for party bags.
- I’ve booked the cake. I did cupcakes last year so I’m changing it this year.
- I’ve asked two friends to take the photos for the day, since I expect to be busy (God bless talented friends).
Have I missed anything else? What shit can happen on the day that I have to be prepared for? Someone say something!